Author Topic: Preserving a signed football (soccer)  (Read 2389 times)

UKFootball

Preserving a signed football (soccer)
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »
Hi,
First time poster.
I'm needing some advice.
I have a signed football (soccer) from the 1998-1999 Manchester United treble winning team.  I've had it in a cupboard for years and I want to start displaying it.  The problem is it's got a little dusty and is slightly brown on the surface and in the stitching.
Does anyone know the best way to clean / preserve the ball without destroying the signatures?
I can try and attach pictures is required.
Cheers
UKF

Bill

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Preserving a signed football (soccer)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
Hi,
First time poster.
I'm needing some advice.
I have a signed football (soccer) from the 1998-1999 Manchester United treble winning team.  I've had it in a cupboard for years and I want to start displaying it.  The problem is it's got a little dusty and is slightly brown on the surface and in the stitching.
Does anyone know the best way to clean / preserve the ball without destroying the signatures?
I can try and attach pictures is required.
Cheers
UKF

Welcome to the forum.  I think the browning could be due to the aging of the leather or the dye changing color.  I don't know what can be done about that.  I know with baseballs this typically happens over time. I don't know if I'd try cleaning with and solvents. Maybe use a feather duster.  I'd be curious to see a few pics.

Always looking for Gary Sheffield, Draymond Green and Stephen Curry items

admin@gameusedcollector.com

tom1315

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
Hi "UKFootball," and indeed welcome.  I'd agree with Bill, let's see some pictures if possible.  I'd probably recommend do nothing to it though I picked up an old college football and it was well worn, the leather dry and I used some LEXOL leather cleaner followed by LEXOL leather conditioner.  These items brought the ball back to life.  My American football was NOT signed…so I'd be extremely leery of using the aforementioned on an autographed ball. 

Post some pictures and others will opine too I am certain.  Again, welcome!

Tom

UKFootball

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the messages.

I've attached a couple of pictures.

The surface feels slightly greasy.  I'm planning to use a dry (or slightly damp) toothbrush to try and clear the dust from the seams.

The surface material is a shiny plastic-ish leather.

The signatures all appear to be biro.